Legal Resources


Community Legal Services East Palo Alto: 650-326-6440 (now serving Mountain View) provides free legal aid to tenants

Tenants Together: (888) 495 8020  provides tenant counseling over the phone to tenants across the state certain days of the week

Law Foundation of Silicon Valley services:

  • Volunteer Eviction Assistance Clinic:  (408) 280-2424 Provides limited assistance to Santa Clara County tenants facing eviction.  
  • Fair Housing Law Project: (408) 280-2452 Provides free legal representation to victims of housing discrimination.
  • Mental Health Advocacy Project: (408) 280-2420 Provides free legal representation to mental health and developmental services consumers who have housing problems.  
  • Health Legal Services:  (408) 280-2430 Provides free legal representation to individuals with HIV/AIDS or diabetes who have housing problems.  

Project Sentinel: 1-888-331-3332 Provides a variety of services (including mediation services) and advice regarding landlord-tenant problems in some jurisdictions.  Investigates claims of housing discrimination.

Bay Area Legal Aid: (408) 850-7066 Provides free legal representation to low-income tenants with housing problems.  

Asian Law Alliance: (408) 287-9710 Provides free legal representation to tenants with housing problems.  

Pro Bono Project Lawyers in the Library: (408) 808-2382 Provides free 20-minute legal consultation on a variety of legal matters.

Eviction Information: Santa Clara County Superior Court Self-Service Center: In-person 99 Notre Dame Ave., San Jose CA 95113 Provides assistance to tenants and landlords with eviction paperwork.  M, T, Th 8:30-3 

SCC Department of Human Relations, Dispute Resolution Services: (408) 792-2314  Provides low cost neutral-third-party dispute resolution services between tenants and landlords, tenants and other tenants, and neighbors.

California Department of Fair Employment and Housing: 1-800-233-3212 State agency responsible for taking complaints of housing discrimination.

Superior Court Small Claims Advisor:

Provides information about how to bring a small claims case (e.g. for tenants: improper security deposit withholding, habitability problems; for landlords:  unpaid rent, damages).

Online Handbook: California Tenants – A Guide to Residential Tenants’ and Landlords’ Rights and Responsibilities: